If your car’s air conditioning isn’t working up to par, don’t sweat it. In most cases, K.C.A.R. can solve the problem.
- Each year prior to the warm weather months.
- Any time it isn’t working to your satisfaction you should bring it in for an A/C Check.
What is included in the Air Conditioning Service?
- System performance check
- System inspection
Are there environmental concerns with Air Conditioning?
Because the refrigerant used in most air conditioning systems is considered harmful to the environment, it is critical that it not be allowed to escape during servicing. We begin each air conditioning service with a leak detection test. Our technicians use a sealed, environmentally friendly process which captures the refrigerant, cleans it, replenishes it and returns it to your car’s air conditioning system good as new.
What if my car still uses Freon?
Air conditioning systems in cars built before 1995 use the refrigerant R-12 or (CFC-12) also referred to as Freon. The EPA determined that Freon was destroying the ozone layer and in 1995 all production ceased. Freon is now extremely expensive and difficult to find. K.C.A.R. offers a retrofit service that enables your a/c system to use the inexpensive R-134a refrigerant. The retrofit pays for itself in cost savings on the refrigerant.
What does the retrofit service include?
- All retrofits are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Different vehicles may require slightly different procedures.
- We evacuate all R-12 and most of the existing refrigerant oils from the air conditioning system.
- In some instances, certain parts, such as the O-rings, hoses, accumulator or receiver/dryer, must be replaced to assure compatibility with R-134a.
- In addition, special fittings and labels must be placed on the vehicle to properly identify that it has been retrofitted. This is required by law and is a mandatory part of any air-conditioning retrofit procedure.
- A retrofit does not fix a broken air conditioning system. If your A/C is not cooling properly then a diagnosis must be performed to determine the problem. Only after a complete diagnosis, can a decision be made whether to repair the A/C system and then plan a retrofit. If a retrofit is desired, then it is important to know this when planning the repair.
As with all services you receive at K.C.A.R., the parts we install will meet or exceed manufacturer’s standards, and all used parts will be returned to you upon request.
This service, like all services performed at K.C.A.R., is advised based on manufacturer’s recommendations, or as needed as determined by our inspection and based on industry standards.